Northeast

Manipur Congress demands rollback of Agnipath Scheme

The Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) termed Agnipath Scheme 'mockery to Indian military system'.

ByIFP Bureau

Updated 20 Jun 2022, 6:43 am

(Photo: IFP)
(Photo: IFP)

 

The Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) has strongly opposed the recently launched Agnipath Scheme, terming it a "mockery to Indian military system" and demanded rollback of the scheme at the earliest.

Addressing the media at the Congress Bhawan in Imphal on Sunday, MPCC general secretary Manaoton said that implementation of Agnipath scheme will only destroy the career of many youths of the nation.

The scheme will be of great loss to the nation and affect internal security at the end as an outcome of the scheme, he said, adding the Government of India is spending huge amounts in the military sector to give pension and salaries of these employees.

To reduce their charges, the said scheme was launched but this shortcut to save the country's exchequer will lower the strength of military power in the world, Manaoton said.

Advertisement

He said that many criteria of the scheme are not acceptable at all. Setting the age of recruitment as 17.5 years to 23 years and to provide six months training are major mistakes as this age period is too young and the training period is too short.

"How can such an immature age with limited skill serve the nation or protect the nation? This will lower the military power of India which is presently at fourth rank in the world after the USA, Russia and China," he claimed.

He also said that recruiting for only four years on contract basis and to select only 25 per cent of them as regular staff would ultimately give only a negative impact on society. The future and career of remaining 75 per cent of Agniveer will be at stake, he added.

The BJP government has always boldly claimed that their government only brings welfare for the society. But on the contrary, people are only experiencing sufferings, he asserted while stating that due to two years of COVID-19 pandemic, recruitment was not carried out. As such, many posts are lying vacant, he said.

The government should focus on recruitment of many jobs instead of launching Agnipath scheme that doesn't have any scope in the future, the MPCC secretary said.

Advertisement

Must Read:

Manipur government plans to convert fuel-based vehicles to electric vehicles: CM Biren

Efforts wasted, hopes shattered as off-grid electricity fails in Manipur’s interior villages

Manipur government plans to convert fuel-based vehicles to electric vehicles: CM Biren

Advertisement

First published:19 Jun 2022, 6:41 pm

Tags:

manipur congressmpccAgnipath schememanaotan

IFP Bureau

IFP Bureau

IMPHAL, Manipur

Advertisement

Top Stories

Loading data...
Advertisement

IFP Exclusive

Loading data...
Advertisement

Feedback

Have a complaint, a suggestion or just some feedback about our content? Please write to onlineifp@gmail.com and we’ll do our best to address it.