Why merely on August 15 or in the immediate dates preceding or succeeding it; rather I would fly the flag of India aloft throughout the year till the last day of my life.
1. The flag of Indian Constitution
2. The flag of Secularism and Equality whereby no religion/language is superior or inferior to each other
3. The flag of fraternity by transcending all norms of religious/linguistic muscle-flexing
4. The flag of Liberty of Expression whereby all can freely express their opinion on any issue in fearless minds and head held high without getting character-assassinated as "anti-national"
5. The flag of diversity and heterogeneity whereby all can freely exercise rituals customs prayers attire food of their own independent choice
6. The flag of inter-religious/inter-caste/inter-racial matrimony
7. The flag of Socialism with liberal patronage of the economically unprivileged lot through adequate subsidies
8. The flag of Social Justice and Equality of Status whereby weaker sections of the population do not suffer from any sort of discrimination
9. The flag of Economic Justice so that the vulnerable lot do not get physically/economically exploited by the worshippers of brute monetary power
10. The flag of Equality of Opportunity so that all children[be she a “not intelligent enough” poor girl toiling as child labour or he a “talented”/“brilliant” boy of privileged class possessed of all facilities in life] can receive equal scope to prove themselves
11. The flag of Individual/Human dignity to ensure equal respect to all people irrespective of their demographic/economic/political identity and of course...
12. The flag of “scientific temper and spirit of inquiry” so that words or rhetoric of anybody can never be taken at face value with the minds getting rational and free of silly superstitions.
After all, the Flag of India not only represents these ideal humanitarian features, it also resides among the people of the country ie the Real India!