A team of Manipur Commission for Protection of Child Rights (MCPCR), under the supervision of the chairperson on Thursday inspected the conditions of hospitalised patients who were suspected of suffering from food poisoning after eating fermented fish at a birthday party.
The team led by MCPCR member L Megharaj and Jotindra visited Paomata PHC and Tungjoi PHSC in Senapati district to inspect the patients.
Megharaj told the media on Thursday that before they went to see the patients being treated, the Commission members met with the chief medical officer of Senapati and inquired about the patients’ conditions.
Dr Helen informed them that the condition of the patients is stable. She said that the number of patients being treated at the hospital is about 92, of which 24 are children. The food safety department already has a report for the exact results of this untoward incident, she added.
The chairperson and members of the child welfare committee, Senapati, also accompanied them on the inspection.
As per reports from the site, two families purchased 250 gm each of fermented fish from the same shop in Sekmai bazar. The first family i.e. the one hosting the birthday party used the fermented fish to prepare ‘Iromba’, which was served to about 170 people attending the celebration around 3.30 pm on Monday.
According to the medical officer, PHC Paomata, as many as 57 patients were admitted to PHC Paomata and another 35 patients were admitted at Tungjoi sub centre at around 12.30 pm on Tuesday. Samples bearing code number serial numbers FSI/7/2_88 and FSO/7/2_89 were collected from the affected site and sent to the state food testing laboratory, medical directorate, Imphal, Manipur via letter number 1/FS ( Sept)/SUR/20 dated 14/9/2022.
All medicine input has been given to all patients, and all are now stable, he said. Of the total patients admitted at two centres, 55 are now discharged, and only two minors are undergoing treatment at two centres.