Manipur Crisis: Tension erupts in Kumbi area over seizure of arms by SF

A confrontation between agitated womenfolk and security forces took place over the seizure of arms from village volunteers.

ByIFP Bureau

Updated 1 May 2024, 1:19 am

IFP Representational Image

Tension prevailed in Kumbi area for several hours on Tuesday due to confrontation between agitated womenfolk and security forces over the seizure of arms from village volunteers.

According to sources, security forces stationed at Kumbi Setupur apprehended village volunteers traveling in two gypsies around 1:50 am on Tuesday.

Subsequently, the volunteers were released along with the gypsies but without their arms and ammunition.

Upon learning of the incident, agitated women stormed the gate of the Kumbi police station and the 2nd Mahar Regiment at Setupur, demanding the return of the seized arms and ammunition.

The demand of the protesting women was that police and security forces should not seize arms from village volunteers pending a resolution of the ethnic clashes.


As the situation escalated, security force personnel enroute to hand over the arms and ammunition to police were intercepted by the protesting women, who insisted on taking possession of the arms themselves.

In a bid to disperse the crowd, security forces fired shots in the air and tear gas, resulting in a woman sustaining a sprained hand.

The commotion was eventually brought under control following a meeting convened at approximately 1 pm, attended by Thanga MLA T. Robindro, Kumbi MLA Premchandra, the CO of the 2nd Mahar Regiment, and the SP of Bishnupur.

However, the seized arms were handed over to the Kumbi Police station and later transported to the Imphal police station for further proceedings.

The seized weapons were 3 AK rifles with 7 magazines and 210 rounds of ammunition, 5 INSAS rifles with13 magazines and 260 rounds, 2 SLR with 9 magazines and 160 rounds of ammunition, 2 hand grenades and bullet proof jackets.

A release issued by the Police Control Room said, a group of womenfolk started gathering and blocked the road so as to prevent the movement of security forces. On being informed by the Army about the developing situation, District Police rushed to the spot.


On reaching, it was informed by the army personnel that the 11 persons had been snatched by the womenfolk during aggressive confrontation with them despite their best efforts, it mentioned.

Displaying dogged determination and intent, teams of both Manipur Police and the Indian Army were successful in breaking through a number of obstacles/ barriers created by hostile sympathizers and reach out to the teams at Kumbi Police Station, it said.

The recovered weapons and ammunition were kept in safe custody, while the mob was later dispersed and the situation was brought under control. Necessary legal action is being taken up, it mentioned.

It further stated that there are reports of rumours on social media by certain handles linking the above miscreants with the incident of April 27 at Naranseina wherein two CRPF personnel were martyred.

Both the incidents are separate and investigation is going on and no linkages with the Naranseina incident have been found till now, it added.



First published:


kumbimanipur crisismanipur conflict

IFP Bureau

IFP Bureau

IMPHAL, Manipur


Top Stories

Loading data...

IFP Exclusive

Loading data...