Fire destroys properties worth Rs 60 lakh in Ukhrul

A fire that broke out at Phalee village in Ukhrul district destroyed several properties.

ByUkhrul Correspondent

Updated 21 Apr 2023, 4:54 pm

IFP Representational Image

A fire which reportedly broke out from an electrical short circuit at Phalee village in Ukhrul district on Thursday destroyed 14 rooms and damaged properties worth around Rs 60 lakh but no casualties were reported. 

According to sources, the fire destroyed 10 rooms of the joint family residence of one Luckson Raingam, 53, of Phalee village and his three brothers and damaged their properties worth Rs 40 lakh. 


One heavy duty vehicle (Shaktimaan truck) and a four wheeler vehicle (Gypsy) were destroyed in the fire along with the relevant important documents, the sources said. 

The fire also destroyed four other rooms which belonged to one widow namely Tiny Khamrang who was also a local of Phalee village, it mentioned. Tiny’s properties worth Rs 20 lakh were also damaged in the fire, it stated. 

The timely intervention of the locals prevented the fire from spreading further, it added. 

Luckson Raingam said that as the fire started from the rooms upstairs, it was difficult to douse the fire which was spreading quickly. Mentioning that the fire had destroyed his valuable properties, he appealed to the state government to extend support. 


Meanwhile, the Chingai MLA Khashim Vashum had deputed his team to visit the site of the incident and extended essential aids such as rice, water tank and roofing sheets etc., on Friday. 

It can be mentioned that with the frequent occurrence of many fire related disasters in the state, it is high time the state government started investing in preventive measures including fire hazard and electricity safety awareness programmes and setting up of proper fire brigades in every district and sub divisions along with the construction of proper roads for the transport of emergency vehicles. 

People also need to practice proper safety measures and be cautious of one’s actions such as leaving electrical devices on even when they are not in use, as it harms the environment and could also lead to catastrophic disasters. 


First published:


calamityphalee villagefire in ukhrul

Ukhrul Correspondent

Ukhrul Correspondent

UKHRUL district, Manipur


Top Stories

Loading data...

IFP Exclusive

Loading data...