The Coordinating Committee on Manipur Integrity (COCOMI) on Friday issued a final warning to the state government to establish a firm absolute decision on the Manipur issue within the next two-three days.
The committee cautioned that all limits had been crossed and COCOMI would stir up intense agitations along with the people if the state government failed to do so.
An eight-member COCOMI team met with Chief Minister N Biren Singh at the CM’s bungalow on Friday to hold serious deliberations “on the deteriorating security system in the state and the long drawn crisis in Manipur.”
Speaking to media after the meeting, COCOMI convenor Jeetendra Ningomba stated that the state and central government would be held accountable for any actions or untoward incidents resulting out of their inaction.
“We are utterly disappointed with the failure of the Central and state authorities to handle the Manipur crisis. Therefore, we have issued the clear cut warning,” he said.
He highlighted that the people of Manipur are distraught over the Centre’s divide and rule policy.
The government’s silence on the ‘proxy war’ which has been intentionally fuelled by vested groups is disheartening the people, he added.
He stated that the government’s unfounded claim of controlling the violence on both sides was not feasible anymore.
“We do not believe they will be able to safeguard the people and the land at this rate. The attack on the state forces is an insult to the authorities,” he said.
He maintained that patience is running dry among the people as they are yet to witness any feasible improvements on security grounds. “We want to know what the government is doing. Will bringing in military grade choppers resolve the crisis?” he asked.
He condemned the killings and “the heavy handed security actions at Ningthoukhong on Thursday,” questioning the reason behind the Centre’s silence on such matters.
“The people have had enough of the government’s assurances. What they want now is for the authorities to work with the people, implement the NRC and withdraw the SoO with Kuki militants,” he said.
He stated that COCOMI would not take any more excuses from the state and central government and would do the ‘needful’ along with the people.