Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain on Friday said that the lockdown imposed to control the spread of COVID-19 would not be extended in the national capital, rubbishing speculation after a spike in coronavirus cases, reports said.
The minister's remarks came in the backdrop of speculation on social media that the national capital might go back into lockdown from June 15 till July 31.
On Thursday, "Relock Delhi" trended on Twitter after the national capital recorded the biggest spike in a single day.
In the last 24 hours, Delhi registered 1,877 new coronavirus cases. The national capital has so far reported 34,687 COVID-19 positive cases, including 12,731 recovered cases and 1,085 deaths, according to the Union Health Ministry.
Delhi ranks third in the total number of COVID-19 cases in India after Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu.