30 people hospitalised after consuming 'fermented soyabean' in Mizoram
A total of 32 people from Chite Veng are being treated at a makeshift centre in a church as well as in hospitals, sources said.
Updated 23 Sept 2020, 2:43 pm
Over 30 people have been hospitalised in Mizoram with complaints of food poisoning after they reportedly consumed fermented soyabean.
A Health department source said that the incident happened on Monday evening, and 32 people from Chite Veng are being treated at a makeshift centre in a church as well as in hospitals.
Chite Veng is located in eastern part of Aizawl under Aizawl East-2 assembly constituency,
According to the source, 28 persons have been treated at a makeshift centre at a Presbyterian Church hall, 3 persons at a private hospital in Aizawl and one at a government hospital. The source said that nurses and doctors visit the centre on rotation to see the patients. However, there has been no report of fatality case.
Meanwhile, on being enquired why the affected people are being treated in the makeshift centre and not in hospitals, an official source said that the Health department had arranged the makeshift centre “as hospital facilities are limited amid the spread of COVID-19”.
It may be noted that fermented soyabean is a popular food ingredient used in different food dishes of the tribal people in the states of Northeast.
First published:23 Sept 2020, 2:43 pm
aizawlmizoramfermented soyabeanfood poisoning
Newmai News Network, Aizawl, Mizoram
Have a complaint, a suggestion or just some feedback about our content? Please write to email@example.com and we’ll do our best to address it.