A peaceful mass rally taken out by thousands of participants at Kakching district on Saturday demanded abrogation of SoO with Kuki militants and protection of the territorial integrity of Manipur.
The rally organised by the District Level Committee for the rejuvenating coexistence, Head Office Kakching started at 10 am. It came from two different sides and went towards Kakching District Headquarters. Protesters also submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister of India through DC Kakching Somorjit Salam.
Protesters, who came from Kakching Sumak Leikai, went through Kakching Keithel and went to the DC office complex while protesters from the Keirak side also came to the DC office.
Kakching police team, including SP Kakching Shrey Vats, SDO Kakching took a strict vigil during the protest to prevent any untoward incidents. The memorandum, including the 10 demands, was submitted by selected committee members.
1. Flushing out illegal immigrants from Manipur
2. To form a fact finding committee of the prevailing ethnic clash
3. Award befitting punishment to the miscreants who are involved in killing innocent lives, destroying and setting ablaze of Meetei houses and properties
4. No separate administration in Manipur
5. Implement NRC in the state.
6. Take up steps to bring back peace and normalcy in the state
7. Help displaced persons in going back home
8. Take strong action against poppy plantation in the state
9. Allow bringing in of foods and daily needs in the two national highways, the lifelines of Manipur.
Speaking to the media, committee member Pukhrambam Somorendro said that people of Kakching will not stay still regarding the clash prevailing in the state. He also questioned the government on how long the displaced persons will take shelter in the relief camps and demanded the Central and state governments to bring back peace in the state.
Somorendro also stated that the people of Kakching will make new decisions on what steps to take up after Home minister Amit Shah’s visit in Manipur.