Properties worth more than Rs 10 lakh were burned down after a wooden house caught fire at Tentha Heibung in Thoubal district around 3.50 pm on Wednesday.
The house belonged to one Moirangthem Sana Singh, 40, son of late Kartik, who is daily wage earner.
According to sources, the fire started from an electric short circuit. As the family members were out tending to paddy fields, they were unaware of the fire. The locals spotted the fire only when it turned into a huge inferno, it added.
The locals then informed the Thoubal Fire Service and worked together to put the flames out, it continued. Although two fire tenders were deployed, the locals and the fire service struggled to put the fire out as the house was made of wood, and the cooking gas cylinder inside the house had also exploded, it informed.
During the fire, the family lost cash of 1 lakh which included money from winning ‘Marup’ and money which were saved for the construction of a new house, two ‘Mohor’ of Gold, 10 bags of rice, wardrobes, clothes, sofa, TV, and mobile phones, among others.