Northeast

Jiribam-Imphal Railway: Two-head train successfully tests track till Khongsang sub-station

The railway test run on Sunday covered a 44 km distance between Vangaichugpao and Khongsang sub-station station in 32 minutes

ByTamenglong Correspondent

Updated 29 Aug 2022, 11:51 am

(Photo: IFP)
(Photo: IFP)

A track testing railway engine successfully carried out a test run of the Jiribam-Imphal Railway line till Khongsang railway sub-station in Noney district on Sunday, official sources said.

The Khongsang railway sub-station is located some 47 km from Tamenglong district Headquarters.

The test run covered a 44-km distance between Vangaichugpao and Khongsang sub-station station in 32 minutes, deputy chief engineer II Rampal said on Sunday when asked.

Advertisement

Altogether, they travelled 55 kilometres in 30 minutes from Jiribam to Khongsang, he mentioned. The test run was attended by 36 members using the two-head engine, he added. 

The train travelled at an average 100 km per minute, he said, adding that passenger railway services will start soon but the exact date is yet to be confirmed.

Another test called commissioning of rail safety will be conducted before commissioning of the passengers trains, he said.

There are 11 stations set up between Jiribam and Imphal, including at Jiri, Vangaichugpao, Rani Gaidinliu station at Kaimai, Kambiron, Thingao, Khongsang, Awangkhul, Noney, Tupul, Haochong and at Imphal railway station. 

Advertisement

Rampal further informed that Jiribam-Imphal railway line has 20 tunnels and almost all the tunnels have been completed.

Meanwhile, the second highest railway bridge in India over Irang river which is 130 ft is nearing completion. Engineer Panjit Dash stated that 70 per cent works have been completed, so far. The remaining 30 per cent works are in good progress, he said.  

He mentioned that the railway bridge could be completed by December 2022. He further informed that the highest railway bridge in the world at Noney, which is 141 metres high is also nearing completion stage.

Advertisement

First published:

Tags:

khongsangtrack testing railway engineJiribam-Imphal Railway

Tamenglong Correspondent

Tamenglong Correspondent

TAMENGLONG district, Manipur

Advertisement

Top Stories

Loading data...
Advertisement

IFP Exclusive

Loading data...
Advertisement

Feedback

Have a complaint, a suggestion or just some feedback about our content? Please write to onlineifp@gmail.com and we’ll do our best to address it.