Updated on 22 Apr 2021, 9:14 am
Manipur (Photo: IFP)
This Earth Day 2021, Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh called upon all to make 2021 a pivotal year in the efforts to restore Earth and rebuild the future from the devastation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Building a climate resilient and net-zero world must go hand-in-hand with recovering from the economic effects of the global pandemic, Biren stated in his message to the citizens of the state.
Every year on April 22, Earth Day is observed to mark the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970 and demonstrate support for environment protection, it stated.
The observation of Earth Day 2021 with the theme ‘Restore Our Earth’ focuses on natural processing, emerging green technologies, and innovating thinking that can restore the world’s ecosystems, it mentioned.
“Let us work together to mitigate the menace of climate change and reaffirm our commitment towards creating a better planet, focussing on sustainable development. Let us also commit ourselves to act on land restoration, to help humanity recover faster and safeguard our future,” the chief minister added.
Quick Facts about Earth Day
1. Drawing inspiration from the anti-war movement, Earth Day was first observed in America on April 22, 1970
2. Earth Day is observed for promoting clean living and a healthy, sustainable habitat for people and wildlife
3. Earth Day is an initiative of Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson
4. Huge public protest marked the first Earth Day as over 20 million took to the streets in America
5. Earth Day became an global event with 141 countries getting involved and years later more countries joined the observation with the help of 5000 environmental organizationsin promoting clean environment.
ALSO READ: Earth Day and Manipur