Date:
Imphal Free Press - Imphal Free Press

By A Staff Reporter

IMPHAL | Aug 8

An accused in a minor rape case was shot at today by three unknown armed persons on his way back to his house after appearing before the special court of POCSO.

The accused, who was shot is identified as Sandam Bhogen (42) son of Sandam Bheiga of Sairem Khul, Imphal West and the incident took place at around 2 pm at Tera Khamnam Leirak along Sagolband road.

Three rounds were fired at him by the three unknown persons in that area while he was riding a scooter towards his home from Cheirap court, Imphal.

Later he was taken to Regional Institute of Medical Sciences for treatment as he received two bullet injuries on his chest and on his arm and he is in critical condition.

A case has been registered at the Lamphel police station in connection with the attack.

Eyewitness said that the three unknown person came on a scooter and were seating near a cobbler shop for a long time and fled the spot after they shot him.

Eyewitnesses said that the three persons told the locals of that area that he was shot as he was misbehaving to woman, before they left the spot.

Bhogen appeared before the special court POCSO as he was the accused in a minor rape case which occurred on December 3, 2013 at Sairem Khul Mayai Leiak and he is currently on bail.

Today the IO of the case submitted the supplementary charge-sheet and the court has fixed the next case trial on August 22.

Till now 15 persons have deposed as prosecution witnesses.

Earlier on July 28 this year Irom Bobo son of I. Kameshore who was charged with raping his 12 years old niece was shot dead by United National Liberation Front (UNLF) in Imphal West.

A released issued by UNLF claiming responsibility for the killing said that the outfit will give extreme punishment to those who commits such crimes against women and children.

 

Punish rapist

Taniulong (Langka) Students’ Union and Taniulong Welfare Association have urged the government to nab the culprit of the Senapati rape case as soon as possible. It also appealed to all the civil voluntary organisations of the state to support in seeking justice. It further requested the department concerned to give attention to the JAC formed against the crime.

Diphu, president, Taniulong Students’ Union, said that the suspected accused persons of the rape case are intimate friends of the victim. He further added that the victim, who is a bright student of the locality, is currently in a critical condition and her future is uncertain.

The students’ union and the association also decried disclosure of the identity of the victim in some newspapers of the state dated on August 7. Diphu alleged that the release was issued by the police department.

Published in News

Newmai News Network

IMPHAL |Aug 8

The JAC againstt Anti Trbal Bills (JAC-AATB), in a statement, said that the August 9 tripartite talks of KNO and UPF in New Delhi, the two umbrella bodies of “Kuki armed nationalists”, will determine the “socio-political survival of the Zo people in present Manipur”.

While appealing the “Zo descendants” to set aside a time from 11 am to 12 noon on August 9 as an ‘hour of prayer’, the JAC said it “sincerely appreciated” the forthcoming round of tripartite talks scheduled with the “armed groups belonging to the ethnic Zo people.” 

It reminded that the JAC had signed a MoU with the state government on May 10, 2017 in the presence of a witness from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), government of India. “The government of Manipur in its MoU with the JAC-AATB acknowledged the demand for a separate administration for the indigenous tribal people of Manipur and assured all possible help and cooperation in the tripartite talks with the armed groups of the Zo people (Chin-Kuki-Zomi/Mizo) of present Manipur,” said the statement.

“It is our humble plea that every indigenous Zo participate during the hour of prayer with humility and sincere commitment, and visit the nearest church to pray and seek the Lord’s intervention and guidance at this juncture in Zo history,” the statement added.

The JAC appealed to all churches to keep their doors open at this time, and organise mass prayers to coincide with the hour of prayer if possible. “Establishments and institutions are also requested to kindly organise prayer meetings at their conveniences, while those working  in farms, construction sites, home-based businesses  and various other forms of livelihood are also requested to kindly set aside time for prayer to coincide with the hour of prayer,” it added.

“It is our sincere hope and prayer that a positive amicable solution is reached through the political talks, and that each and every Zo descendant extends every possible co-operation for the success of the dialogue,” the statement maintained.

Published in News
Wednesday, 09 August 2017 00:00

Four hooch tragedy accused sent to jail

By A Staff Reporter

IMPHAL | Aug 8

The Judicial Magistrate First Class, Imphal West today remanded the four accused persons who were arrested in connection with the Oinam Sawombung hooch tragedy, to judicial custody for 15 days.

Two of the accused mother and son identified as Bina Kamei (45) and Apu Kamei were the manufacturer of the alleged spurious liquor and the other two accused identified as Elangbam Imo (50) and Ashem Shyamkumar (50) were the vendor owners, which sold the liquor.

The defence counsel of the mother and son submitted bail application before the court.

The additional public prosecutor of the case said before the court that more time will be taken for further investigation of the case and to find the origin of the spurious liquor.

So he said that the accused persons should not be released until the investigation process is finished as the spurious liquor has led to death of five persons. The IO of the case prayed for remanding the four to judicial custody as investigation is in process.

Published in News
Wednesday, 09 August 2017 00:00

Garbage near Friendship Bridge irks minister

IMPHAL | Aug 8

Th. Shyamkumar, minister MAHUD and forests & environment took serious note of the garbage dumped along the Indian side near the Indo-Myanmar friendship bridge.

Terming it as dangerous for the environment, the minister express fear that if the dumping continues, than in the coming years, the garbage could pollute the river which flows between the two countries and the neighbouring country may complain over the matter.

Speaking to the media Shyamkumar said earlier Moreh was under MAHUD department when it was under one town committee. He said there is a need for a meeting between the MAHUD officials and councillors for the introduction of solid waste management programme. He opined that necessary steps are needed to be taken up to stop pollution of the environment.

He also appreciated volunteers of Worker and Trainer’s Association, Moreh for voluntary cleaning the area.

He said the government will try providing the volunteers a vehicle to collect waste.

Earlier in a visit to Yaingangpokpi Lockhao wildlife sanctuary, Shyamkumar raised serious concern over the increase in number of illegal villages in the area. 

The sanctuary is located along the Indo-Myanmar border in Chandel district which covers a total area of 184.8 sq kms. Terming it as unfortunate, Shyamkumar said the Haolenphai village has always been a disputed village as it lies in the border.

Speaking to the media the minister said he has spoken with the department officials in Moreh. He opined that enclosing of the sanctuary will further avoid illegal entry of people and installation of cameras would help in keeping records of the wildlife animals.

He also visited integrated check post, which is under construction. He was accompanied by department officials during the visit. The minister is on a two-day visit to the border town.

Published in News

IMPHAL | Aug 8

Expressing deep concern over the increasing rate of crime against women in the state, social welfare and cooperation minister, Nemcha Kipgen has asserted that there will be ‘Zero Tolerance’ against such crimes.

She gave assurance to take up all possible steps to deliver justice at the right time without any delay. To bring an end to any forms of violence against women, the minister urged the public for full cooperation in an emergency meeting convened at her residence along with various officials. 

The meeting took serious note of the custodial death of Mutum (o) Indira Devi wife of M. Ibohal Singh of Andro Khuman Leikai who was found dead hanging inside the toilet of the Andro police station earlier this month.

The meeting was attended by Manipur State Commission for Women, chairperson K. Sobita Devi, member of the commission, Ranjita Golmei and Manipur State Social Welfare Board, chairperson, M. Priyomala Devi.

Under the advice of the minister, the team of MSCW and MSSWB had conducted spot enquiries into the death of a homemaker, Sapam (O) Thounaojam Sumila of Utlou Mayai Leikai who was found dead on the 4th of this month after allegedly consuming caustic soda.

The team also took stock over the suspicious death of Bedamani Devi, wife of Th. Hemanta Singh of Koutruk Maning leikai, who was also found dead after she strongly raised disapproval when her husband sent their minor child to get liquor.

Taking into account of all these cases, the minister stated that those involved in all such forms of violence against women will not be spared under any circumstances. She strongly advised the team to take up necessary steps to curtail the increasing rates of crime against women in the state and to look into these matters with grave concern.

It may be mentioned that as per the reports by MSCW since June 2016, domestic violence tops the chart of the case registered in the commission, having registered 18 in numbers (two in the year 2016 and 16 in the year 2017).

The commission has solved 63 cases from the 78 cases registered. 15 cases are in process and 63 cases are disposed. So far, MSCW chairperson K Sobita Devi and her team had conducted a total number of 57 spot enquiries which includes suo moto cases, murder cases, rape cases, etc.

Published in News
Wednesday, 09 August 2017 00:00

Journalism diploma course launched

By A Staff Reporter

IMPHAL | Aug 8

Information and public relation minister, Thongam Biswajit Singh has urged that the existing media houses of the state do their duty well in providing credibility, trust and reliability in news reporting and to correct the government system.

He was speaking at the inaugural function of 1-year diploma course in journalism and mass communication, at DIPR complex, Moirangkhom.

The minister said that the media has a great responsibility in disseminating information as most people refers to newspapers and media houses for credibility and authentification of of news uploaded and found in social media.

The minister acknowledged the importance of media in the state and asserted that it is indeed the fourth pillar of democracy and power should be wisely maintained.

Giving the keynote address, director of IPR, Meghachandra Kongbam said that this is the first full-fledged program introduced by the IPR of the state.

The diploma course which is due to be started on August 10, has 30 students intake and has students enrolled from almost all the districts of the state, he said. The art of writing will be mainly focused so that the students will be fluent in their language construction even if they choose different media line be it radio, television, print, advertising and so on, he further cited.

There will be six different papers including reporting, advertising, different mediums of communication among others. After completing the course, the students will be sent to New Delhi for internship in leading media firms, he added.

Commissioner of IPR, K. Radhakumar Singh and deputy director, Chongtham Noyon Singh attended the function as president and guest of honour respectively.

Published in News
Wednesday, 09 August 2017 00:00

Congress wants auction ‘culprits’ punished

By A Staff Reporter

IMPHAL | Aug 8

The Congress party asked the MAHUD minister to punish those who were involved in holding the controversial Imphal Municipality Corporation auction.

Speaking to media persons today, Congress spokesperson, MLA Kh. Joykishan said that only getting back the actioned vehicles and machineries is not enough the MAHUD department should also punish the officials involved in the auction.

He asked the MAHUD minister to clarify to the public on how the auction process was conducted.

He claimed that he did not get any report on the drainage system in his constituency though the chief minister and the MAHUD minister gave assurances in the House that the report will be given to him as he is the MLA of the constituency.

The spokesperson said that construction of drainage system at Takhelambam Leikai, which was stopped, continued after the councilor of the area inspected the place.

MLA Joykishan asked “why the government allowed the work process to continue without taking any action against the contractor for halting the work? What is the hidden agenda behind, he questioned.

The MLA continued that the Opposition party will support all the good steps taken for the development and welfare of the state but they will not remain silent if the government works only for personal gains.

Published in News
Wednesday, 09 August 2017 00:00

Tribal University students end stir

IMPHAL | Aug 8

The IGNTUSU-RCM has temporarily suspended its stir after coming to a partial agreement with regard to the demands laid down by the student’s body. The agreement was reached following a meeting with the VC of the tribal university with the student leaders.

A joint release signed by president of ATSUM, Vareiyo and IGNTUSU-RCM president, Khazi said a meeting was held today at Classic Grande with the VC, Prof T. V. Kattimani and representatives of ATSUM, KSO and ANSAM.

An assurance letter was given by the VC to solve all pertinent issues and development of the regional campus, and accordingly the student body agreed to temporarily suspends its stir. The VC shall visit the campus by September and the executive council meeting shall be held at the same time as per the letter received by the student body, said the release. 

Further it said temporary hostel accommodations shall be arranged and a committee constituting the student body has been formed in this regards. Advertisement for recruitment of permanent faculties for department of tribal studies and department of sociology and social anthropology shall also be initiated within a month of the issue of this press statement which shall also include recruitment of adequate non-teaching staffs, it added.  

However, the student bodies shall resume without further ado if the authorities concerned fail to deliver on the agreements within one month of this agreement, it added.

 It may be recalled that the student bodies have been demanding: initiation of construction works for hostels and staff quarters, appointment of permanent staffs for the department of sociology and department of social anthropology and department of tribal studies, and direct extension of their status to full contractual until such time as permanent posts are created.

Published in News
Wednesday, 09 August 2017 00:00

Gold worth Rs 1.2 crore seized

IMPHAL | Aug 8

A gold smuggler carrying 25 gold bars weighing approximately 4.160 kgs worth about Rs 1.2 crores was apprehended yesterday by 12 Assam Rifles of 26 sector AR under the aegis of HQ IGAR (South) at Khudengthabi, Tengnoupal. 

A release said at around 8:15 am, a Maruti van was stopped at the vehicle check post of Khudengthabi for checking. During checking, suspicious package was found with 25 gold bars.

The driver of the van, revealed that he was transporting gold from Moreh to Imphal. He has been identified as Raju Muniyandi (45) son of R Muniyandi of Moreh Ward No 1, Tengnoupal district. Raju along with the recovered item was handed over to custom authorities of Moreh, it added.

Published in News

From Our Correspondent

KANGPOKPI | Aug 8

Kangpokpi district wore a deserted look today with the imposition of 24 hours total shutdown over the alleged encroachment of Haraothel land for construction of national sports university. The shutdown was called by civil organisations of the district. 

The otherwise hectic district headquarters and the road along Asian Highway No.1, also known as NH-2 along Imphal-Dimapur road was empty without any vehicles plying and day-today activities coming to a grinding halt.

The total shutdown from 6 am of this morning till 6 am of August 9 was collectively imposed by CVOs Kangpokpi spearheaded by Kuki Students’ Organisation Sadar Hills seeking the state government’s attention for amicable solution over the controversial university site.

Unlike the past total shutdown in the district, the impact of the shutdown is being experienced by all walks of life from business sectors to educational institutions, government institutions, completely disrupting the normal life in the district.

Volunteers were seen deployed in two strategic locations at Taphou Kuki and Gamgiphai who strictly manned the highway checking the exempted vehicles. The volunteers send back those vehicles which are outside the purview of the shutdown bearing no authorised permit.

There was minimal attendance recorded in all government institution owing to the shutdown. Similar impact was also witnessed in most of the area from Taphou Kuki to Gamgiphai including Keithelmanbi, Bongmol, Leikop, Sapormeina and Motbung.

No vehicular movement has been witnessed along the National Highway. However, security force including IRB, Assam Rifles personnel were seen deployed along the road monitoring the situation.

While speaking to media persons, KSO president, Thangminlen Kipgen said, “Chief minister, N. Biren Singh once assured us when we met him on hill leaders day to seriously consider the issue and initiate for amicable solution.”

He continued that despite his assurance, the CM when he visited the university site blatantly claimed that there is no dispute and even restated his statement during the recently concluded assembly.

He further said that though disappointed with the insincerity of the chief minister the KSO repeated appealed to solve the issue and had even organised a peaceful sit-in-protest followed by today’s total shutdown to draw his attention but no response has been received.

Therefore, we collectively decided to imposed sustain shutdown from 6 am of August 11 till the state government invites us for negotiation and initiate the process for solving the dispute amicably, he added.

No untoward incident has been reported till filing of this report.

Interestingly, the shutdown has been otherwise enjoyed by children and many other peoples. Some children were seen playing in the potholes water logging along the highway, some playing cricket and others loitering along highway has been witnessed.

Published in News
Page 1 of 3

        

About IFP

Imphal Free Press is a widely circulated English daily published in Manipur, North-East India. Started in 1996, it has relocated its head office from Sega Road, Imphal to Palace Gate, Imphal.

Reach Us

  • Main Office

    Konung Road, New Checkon Mamang Leikai, Nongpok Inkhol, Imphal, Manipur 795001

  • Email

    info@ifp.co.in
    freeprss@yahoo.com

  • Phone

    +91 385 2441704